Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Rijksmuseum van Oudheden

Yesterday was my first day to the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden (http://www.rmo.nl/english). It is located in Leiden, a small little town about 40 min. away from Amsterdam.

Travel tip: the train station doesn’t accept credit cards here…so if you’re buying tickets, make sure you have cash!

When I got to the museum (after getting a bit lost of course), the assistant curator met with me and let me into the galleries. He spent some time explaining the galleries and why they had chosen to display Egypt the way they had (this is a new gallery dating from 2000) and then let me wander about so that I could make my observations.
The galleries are gorgeous and very modern. I spent over an hour in the gallery, taking pictures and coming up with questions to ask the curators.
Once I finished with that, I ate a little sandwich in their café (not even that unreasonably priced). Then I met up with the assistant curator again and he took me to his office where I was able to ask him some questions. He was so extremely nice! He showed me some books, articles, and explained to me how to use their website for research. The director of collections apparently has asked to meet with me too (how cool!) so I will hopefully meet him today, as well as the main curator.
Once I was finished at the museum, I wandered around Leiden for a bit, but it was so cold and rainy that I soon returned to Amsterdam.
Back at my hotel, I took a nap and when I woke up at 8pm the sun was shining and there was not a sign of a cloud in the sky…super strange! I went out to enjoy the weather and wandered about some more (this time, I didn’t even get lost!)

Pictures from the day before yesterday and yesterday are up on Facebook, follow this link:
photos

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is excellent, thank you for letting us travel along with you!
    Michal

    ReplyDelete