Thursday, May 28, 2009

Allard Pierson Museum and more of Leiden

This morning, I managed to wake up pretty early and so was able to go to the Allard Pierson Museum so that I could then already make some comparisons when I returned to Leiden this afternoon. The Allard Pierson Museum is very different in some respects, which is great for my research. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to reach the curator yet, but perhaps tomorrow I will just ask for him at the front desk (who knows?).
Hopped on the train to Leiden early afternoon and met up with the curator and assistant. I was able to get a picture with them (although I’m sure they found this to be an odd request, but I thought it would be a nice souvenir and addition to my final paper). I then had a few more questions for them and ended back in the galleries for one last look around.
Once I finished with that, I decided to spend the rest of the evening exploring Leiden, which is such a beautiful little city. I first stopped by Leiden University, which is a very good place for art history and Egyptology (all the people working at the Rijksmuseum van Oudheden went there). I was extremely surprised to find an actual student information center with brochures, info about admission and people willing to answer questions! (This does not exist at all in Paris. 2 years ago when I went there looking for a school, it was impossible to find out any information or people willing to help). Unfortunately, because the US system is so much more a liberal arts basis instead of specialized, it would be very difficult for me to go into their Egyptology program, but the guy did suggest I try the art history department. We’ll see…but being in Holland for a masters would be amazing!
Then my phone ran out of minutes and I went to a store to get a new SIM card so that calls would be cheaper here. Simple enough, I thought…just bought a new one (only 5 euros), put it in, and thought it would work.
WRONG.
When I got my phone “unblocked” in Paris so that it would work in all European countries, I apparently got very very ripped off. I paid them 20 euros for absolutely nothing, my phone wasn’t even unblocked. UGH.
So then I had to go to a different store to get in unblocked here. The guys there were very friendly (and less sketchy than the ones in the Paris store) and told me never to trust the French (hah!). They felt bad that I had gotten ripped off, so they gave me a discount (only 10 euros instead of 15…) and unblocked it for me and this time it really worked.

To recap: TRAVEL TIP ABOUT PHONES:
a) Do not unblock your phone in the same country that you got it in, other wise you won’t be able to check and make sure it works.
b) If you do get it unblocked in the same country that you bought it, try someone else’s SIM card in it to make sure it works.
c) Don’t trust the French… (never thought I would say that!). Well, at least, don’t trust the sketchy French telephone people.

After that little adventure, I was rather hungry and wanted to eat in Leiden but also didn’t want to spend that much money. I stumbled upon a cute little restaurant called…McDonald’s! (The classiest McDonald’s I’ve ever seen) with a patio and everything. Still had to pay 50 cents to use the restroom (seriously…this is getting annoying). Since I couldn’t read the menu (and the only similar words are hamburger and McChicken) I went for the McChicken, and it was very good. I ate on the little patio which was fine at first, but soon I realized that this was a popular spot for the local high school hooligans to hang out. The last time I was around such a crowd (in Paris), I got my cell phone stolen, so I decided not to take any chances and ate my McChicken on the way back to the station (plus, they kept spitting…twas gross).

I managed not to buy any shoes, but I fear I will not be able to resist much longer (but can I really justify spending 100 euros on a beautiful pair of shoes…probably not).

Now I am back at the hotel relaxing before I go out and see what Amsterdam’s nightlife is really like (apparently Thursday is when the party really begins!)

Today's photos: here

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear about the nightlife.
    Good tips on the phone thing. I will definitely keep those in mind on my travels!!
    And I will stay away from the stealing high school students ;)

    ReplyDelete