Sunday, July 12, 2009

Rome: July 5th

On Sunday morning (still in Bologna) I had enough time to go back to the museum and look at the Egyptian collection. Then in the afternoon I took my train to Rome.

Now, what’s worse than a crying baby or a really smelly man sitting next to you?...THREE crying babies and their obnoxiously annoyingly loud mothers. Ugh…I have no luck when it comes to train rides!

But the painful train ride was well worth it considering that my destination was ROME.


Saverio (my Italian friend who came to VCU for a semester) met me at the train station, and I am so glad he did because it is very confusing to find anything there! We found my hotel (on the same street as the Colosseum) and then had some gelato (of course).

My hotel:


We walked around and he showed me a bit of Rome. The city is unbelievable…everywhere there are ruins of some kind, surrounded by modern buildings..a rather strange sight sometimes. For dinner we went to the Campo di Fiori (a hip happening piazza) where we had a panino.

(Yes…Americans have got it all wrong..it’s ONE panino and TWO panini). Now you know.
We met up with his friend Fabrizio and discovered Trestavere, another hip happening place.

Then it was off to bed for an early wakeup the next day to go wait in line at the Vatican! More updates to follow!

More pictures from this day: here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment