Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I <3 Italia

Ok ok..I'm getting really bad at updating this. Sorry!

The last time I wrote, I was in Basel.
There's me at the museum:
My last night in Basel, I was walking around and there was a little concert going on outside of a bar with free champagne and wine..super! Apparently, the building was celebrating its 10 years and they had built a special tower that you could climb to see the city from the top:
The waitress at this place was really nice and when I asked what there was to do at night in the city, she invited me to come hang out with her friends at a local bar. While it was extremely difficult to understand anything they were saying (German) it was still a lot of fun and I was glad to have met some nice people!

The next day, I took a train to Bern, a very cute little city with an amazing view!

The museum was very nice...even if the Egyptian collection took up only about 50 meters square...but I still got to meet with the curator (who had the great moustache ever...unfortunately didn't get a picture!).


That same day I took a train back to Paris where I had a few days to rest up and get ready for ITALY. While in Paris I saw the Gay Pride Parade, a huuuuge deal and quite a lot of fun to watch!

Hung out with Aurore and my long lost Lithuanian friend Juste! Went back to the Louvre to see the temporary exhibit one last time since it will be closed by the time I get back to Paris next.
I ate profiterole...probably the best dessert ever invented.


And saw a Vivaldi concert in the Sainte Chapelle...beautiful!


Finally, at an ungodly hour in the morning on Monday, I took a train to TORINO, Italia. The train ride was about 5 hours, but a nice train ride with a beautiful view.
And then I arrived...I had heard few positive things about Torino, mostly that it was an industrial city with little to see. WRONG.
There is beautiful architecture everywhere, no tourists, and really great people.

My first day here, I wondered around the city and sat down at a fountain where I heard some people speaking French. For a while I hesitated saying anything, but finally thought that this was my chance to meet some people! Turns out they're Belgians and super nice! They let me follow them around and showed me the city. We then went to what is called an "aperitif", quite dissimilar from the French version. Here, you go to a bar and order a drink and then you eat allllll the food that you want that they have set out. They replenish it consistently throughout the night and it was DELICIOUS (and super cheap considering you get a nice cocktail and unlimited food). They then invited me to their friend's birthday party which was quite fun as well.

Yesterday, I went and discovered the Museo Egizio...all I can say is WOW. I think it wins so far. It also makes for some very interesting observations for my project since their displays are extremely old fashioned (but I think I like it best that way!). Their collection is ridiculously amazing...they even have Nefertari's tomb goods, including what they think are her knees (cool..huh?)
That's a colossal statue of Thutmosis III, whose twin resides at the Louvre!

After the museum, wandered about the city some more and then met up with some of my new friends for dinner.

I.will.never.be.able.to.eat.any.other.food.ever.again

This was the antipasti: the most delicious mozarella evvvvvvver.

Don't even get me started on the pizza...

Then spent the rest of the evening taking pictures and discovering Torino's night life...

My new friends:


Today, spent most of the day at the museum. I then tasted the greatest gelato in the world and once again will never be able to eat regular ice cream. Ever.

Oh, and did I mention the caffe? Only 1 euro everywhere, and the best coffee you will ever taste. Ever. How am I ever going to be able to live with regular food and coffee after this?!?

This is my favorite caffe...I have been here everyday, the bartender speaks French and is tres nice.

I just love how classy they are :)

Well, that's all for now! I will try my best to update more regularly.

2 comments:

  1. uhhhhh me gusta. I like the white getup with the bowtie. Tres hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching Samantha Brown passport to Europe on the travel channel a week or so ago and she was in Turino and said it had one of the best Egyptian exibits, then I thought to myself, that must be why Jessica is going there. Nice.

    Adesso, devi prendere corsi di italiano!

    ReplyDelete