Started the day at the British Museum - and now remember why I am not fond of it - while the collection is absolutely outstanding, it is always (no matter how early you get there) faaaaaaar too crowded and rather difficult to enjoy since you are constantly being pushed and shoved by everyone around you (this becomes especially annoying when you are there to study the displays and can barely see anything...). I still spent quite a few hours there and took tons of notes and pictures.
Then I wandered to Regent's Park and had a little picnic, quite lovely indeed.

Walked around for a bit and then went back to Regent's Park to see....The Importance of Being Earnest!! In the open air theatre. First, had some barbecue from their picnic area (how nice!) and it was scrumptious!
The show was great (even though Side Show's production was, of course, a thousand times better - even their scene changes took as long as ours, hahah:P) and lots of fun to watch outdoors! And sitting next to me...people from UVA who knew Laura!! What a small small world it is after all.

On Tuesday:
Back to the British Museum, still just as crowded...
Don't get me wrong, it's wonderful that so many people want to see the Egyptian stuff...it just makes it difficult to fully enjoy. *sigh* I also think that having to fight your way through the crowds makes the whole thing that much more exhausting. But seriously, it really is a great museum.
(look at me being all researchy!)I walked around a bit in London afterwards, but was so exhausted that I went straight home and crashed super early (I know...lame...).
Today (Wednesday):
AMAAAAAZZIINNNG day! I took a train to Bristol (about 1 1/2 hours away) to visit the museum there. I wasn't sure what to expect since I knew it was a small-ish museum, but I was extremely pleasantly surprised. Well...first I had to wait in line for about 1 hour and a half (because of some crazy graffiti exhibition going on), but once I got to the Egyptian exhibit, I was in awe.
The exhibit is the most cutting-edge, forward-thinking, and perhaps most interesting of all the museums I have seen so far. It is also the most different from any of the others, which was really quite refreshing!

After visiting the gallery on my own, I met up with the curator and the learning coordinator. My meeting with them was probably the best one so far as well (besides Leiden). They talked with me for over 2 hours and gave me so much great information and insights! It was just a great conversation - instead of a stiff interview, I didn't even have to ask my prepared questions. I will have so much to talk about in my paper! Yay!
Took the train back and now am just relaxing in the apartment, getting ready for another big day tomorrow!
More photos: here

No comments:
Post a Comment