Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Finishing up Rome

Ok folks...I'm seriously going to try and get up to date with all the Rome happenings before it fades from my memory!

On July 8th - Saw Trajan's Forum and his column. It's amazing that all of this stuff is still there, right next to the modern buildings! People just walk by without even noticing it seems!

Visited the Piazza di Spagna (quite beautiful).

Then worked on my notes and all that jazz back at my hotel.

Later, met up with some Italian friends I had met in Paris last year - who would have thought I'd ever see them again!?! 'Twas a short reunion, but sweet!
Ate the best Tiramisu of my life...

And theeeeeeeeeen...the most magical evening of the summer: saw the ballet of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Baths of Caracalla. UNBELIEVABLE! I was almost in tears it was so beautiful. I was also reciting all of the lines in my head the entire time...because I'm that much of a dork :P

After that more than amazing experience, there was a little fair going on next door where lots of little merchants set up booths and every 100 yards there were make-shift dance floors. Very neat-o.

On July 9th, went to the Foro Romano (Roman Forum) which is spectacular but HUGE...and scorchingly hot under the burning sun. Definitely didn't get to see everything (since I only had a short time before getting to the airport) and first had to wait in line for over an hour (duh..).

Also hopped over to the Coliseum and saw that briefly, very impressive as well.
Hung out with some hardcore Romans:

And finally, it was goodbye Roma! I will definitely have to go back because there is still sooooo much stuff I didn't get to see (I think you need at least a month there to see most of it).

My flight back to Paris was with Lufthansa, and I will take a moment to tell you just how WONDERFUL they are. I will definitely fly with them again if I get the chance. First off, took me about 5 minutes to check in with their automatic thingy and they didn't charge me for my overweight suitcase! (I don't know how it got overweight...).
The flight attendants on the plane were the friendliest I've encountered thus far! And as an added bonus, they served free wine and delicious little sandwich snacks. I highly recommend flying with them!


For lots more pictures: here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment