
I then went to another museum that has a very small Egyptian collection. It was very interesting because it is a private collection and the display is the original from when the museum opened (way back)...it will be great to compare with some of the larger museums.
Then I wandered the streets and was drawn into a side street where loud techno was playing..turns out, this week is DISTORTION, a huge street festival with lots of techno DJs on almost every street. AMAZING! Of course, I felt right at home. They were even giving out free beer and cider (the cider, called Somersby, is delicious. If you are ever in Copenhagen, you must try it). I then met back up with the Americans to say goodbye since they were leaving the next day.

On Thursday I went to the National Museum where I hadn't been able to contact the curator. I asked at the front desk, and ironically, she's in the US! Luckily though, her student assistant was there and was willing to answer my questions and take me around the galleries. He was extremely friendly and really knows his stuff. He made me some copies of articles that will help for my research and even gave me a book! I'm so happy I was able to meet with him (and really lucky he was there!). The rest of the day I spent at the hotel typing up my notes and doing a bit of reading.
Then, I met up with the locals (Toke and Laura...joined by their friend Jeppe) we had met at the bar the other day and we went to dinner together (back at Phenix!). What a fun bunch of people! We then went to a small cocktail bar called "Ruby's" that's super hidden right next to the Bulgarian embassy. You wouldn't even know it's there! Had quite a nice time there and then went to the Australian Bar where even if you're 20 you feel old! Here, I experienced the worst bartending EVER. The barista refused to make eyecontact and kept going passed me and serving other people (most men...I guess it makes sense). I stood there for a full 30 minutes! Finally she took a break and a bartender came and served me right away. It was quite ridiculous. We met a nice bunch of Americans who were touring Europe as well and who might be in Switzerland while I'm there which would be nice! I didn't get back to my hotel until 3:30 because Toke and Laura wouldn't let me go! (I didn't want to leave them either, they were awesome!). However, I had to leave for the airport at 5...so I just didn't sleep (fun!).
This morning's traveling was not so pleasant. First of all, it was pouring down rain as I walked to the metro to get to the airport (I guess I was lucky that it didn't rain at all during my stay though!). The Copenhagen airport sucks...it's confusing and the lines are huge. My suitcase was too heavy (because of all the books) and the lady wouldn't let me take them out to make my bag lighter...so I had to pay 40 euros and go through a million different lines to pay it. Once in Paris, I forgot that the metro stations don't have elevators..so I had to carry this overweight suitcase up and down all these stairs...I guess it was a good workout.
Finally arrived at the studio and it's very nice and in an area I'm quite familiar with, which is neat. It's somewhat of a relief to be back in a country where I can read and understand the language! A tourist even came up to me to ask me for directions (YES! I look like a local!).
Tomorrow, the adventures at the Louvre begin!
Pictures: here

Was the curator's assistant cute?
ReplyDelete